Privacy Notice - Your Privacy Rights
Effective Date: January 1, 2018
Last Updated: December 31, 2022
About This Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice describes the information and collection practices on the websites, mobile applications, products, and services (collectively “Services”) that link to this Privacy Notice. These Services are provided by the provider companies listed on https://www.pdffiller.com/en/contracting-entities . It does not apply to our use of employee or job applicant information.
We may process your personal information under an agreement with a third party and act as a data processor. For example, if a business customer uploads a contract for signature we will process the information under instructions from the customer. In those cases, the terms of that agreement may also govern how your information is used. If you believe a third party has asked us to process your personal information on their behalf, please contact them first.
NOTICE OF COLLECTION
Collection of Personal Information
The type of personal information we collect depends on your relationship with us and the Services you use. California law requires us to tell you if we share information for cross-contextual behavioral advertising. Described below by category is the information we may collect. We also indicate if we share it for cross-contextual behavioral advertising. To learn how to modify your cross-contextual advertising preferences, view our Notice of Right to Opt-out of Sale/Sharing:
- Contact information. This includes your name and email address. It also includes a mailing address, phone number, or electronic signature.
- Commercial information. This includes billing and payment information (e.g., credit card number, expiration date), products or services purchased.
includes physical location and precise location including when you sign
up for or use our Services as well as when you sign an electronic
- Submitted information. We collect any information you submit to us. This includes feedback or questions.
- Usage Information. We collect personal information about how you use our Services and the devices you use to access our Services including (i) logs and session data, (ii) browser and operating system information, (iii) which site or mobile application you came from, (iv) which site you visit when you leave us, (v) areas of our site or mobile application you visit and any actions you make, and (vi) your IP address. We also collect device identifiers. This might include your hardware model and operating system. In some cases, we may share this information for the purposes noted below.
- Transactional data. We may collect the names and email addresses of parties to a transaction. We may also collect the subject line and the history of an individual's actions in connection with a transaction. We may also collect personal information about those individuals or their devices. This might include name, email address, IP address, and authentication methods.
We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information, as defined by
California law, for inferring characteristics or for purposes other than
those permitted by law.
Use of Personal Information
We use information for the following reasons:
To respond to your request and communicate with you. We use information to create your account and manage your
relationship with us. This includes communication about our terms and
policies. We use information to respond to your questions. These may be
customer service questions or questions about product education and
To provide and improve our Services. We use information to provide you with our Services. For example,
we record details about transactions involving electronic documents. We
use information to collect payments and respond to related inquiries. We
use information to make our Services better and develop new features.
This also includes customizing your experience with us. We may also use
information to analyze how our Services are used.
To conduct marketing activities. We use information to let you know about new features and
products. These might be our offers or products, or third-party offers
or products we think you might find interesting. We may also let you
know about special events. We may do this by phone, online, or by email.
We may use information to conduct surveys or run sweepstakes or other
- To protect our company and constituents. We use information to protect our company and customers, and users. This includes complying with our legal obligations. We use information to identify fraud and secure our systems and Services.
We use information for other purposes as permitted by law or as we may disclose to you.
EU Lawful Basis for Processing Your Personal Information. If UK or European data protection law applies and where we act as a data controller, our lawful basis for collecting and using the personal information described here will depend on the type of personal information and the specific context in which we collect or use it. In those cases, we either use information (i) where we have your consent to do so, (ii) where we need the personal information to provide you with Services or to perform a contract with you, or (iii) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. We may have a legal obligation to collect or retain personal information or may need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person. For example, when we:
Use personal information to create and manage an account, we do so to
provide you with relevant Services and perform our contract with you.
Gather and record data associated with the use of a digital certificate
or electronic signature. We do so to comply with regulations.
Use names and email addresses for email marketing purposes, we do so
with your consent (which you can withdraw at any time) or, where
permitted under applicable law, based on our legitimate interests.
- Gather usage data and analyze it to improve our Services, make conscientious adjustments to meet our growing customer base’s needs, or ensure the security of our Services, we do so based on our legitimate interest in safeguarding and improving our Services.
We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information, as defined by
California law, for inferring characteristics or for purposes other than
those permitted by law. Review our
retention practices below. For more
information about our privacy practices, read the rest of this Privacy
How We Collect Information
Information we collect directly from you. We collect information if you create an account or contact us. We also collect information when you start, sign, edit, fill in, or review an electronic document. We collect information when you participate in surveys or sign up for communications and when you engage with us on social media or community forums. This could be done in person, online, or by phone.
Information we collect automatically and passively. We collect information about users over time and across different websites and applications. We also work with third parties that collect personal information this way. We use several common tracking tools to collect information. Tracking tools include browser cookies and web beacons. To learn more about cookies, visit FTC’s Online Tracking here . We may work with others to gather information on our platforms and elsewhere. We may do this on our websites and in emails we send to you. We collect information about users over time when you use our websites. For choices you may have on what information we automatically collect, please see Your Choices below.
Information we collect from others. Business partners may provide information about you to us. This includes marketers, partners, and researchers. If you register for our Services on another website, the website may provide your personal information to us. Other customers may give us your personal information. For example, a customer might send you a document to fill out and sign. When they d o, they will give us your email address and name. If a customer wants to add you to an existing account, they will send us information about you. Referral sources will share information about you to send a referral. If you use a third-party profile to set up your account with us, we will receive information associated with that third-party profile.
We Combine Information
We may combine the personal information we receive from other sources with
the personal information we collect from you and use it as described here.
This includes information received through LinkedIn, Apple Sign-In,
Microsoft, Google OneTap, and Facebook. We also combine information we
collect from you online with information we receive from you offline. We
combine information that we have collected across third-party platforms.
We combine information across devices.
Disclosing Information to Others
We disclose personal information as follows:
- Service Providers. We share all categories of your information with service providers to support our Services. These include providers of smart search technology and data analytics. It also includes quality control, security and advertising providers. We may also share all categories of information with payment processing or fraud detection services. It also includes authentication systems and customer support providers.
- Affiliates. We may share all categories of information with other companies under our common ownership or control. These companies use your personal information as described in this Privacy Notice. This includes current and future companies. For a current list of our contracting entities, please visit: https://www.pdffiller.com/en/contracting-entities.
- Marketing Partners. We may share your contact information with sponsors of events, webinars, or sweepstakes for which you register or other parties with whom we may engage in joint marketing activities.
- Public or Government Authorities. We may share all categories of information to comply with our legal obligations, regulations, or contracts or to respond to a court order, administrative, or judicial processes, such as a subpoena, government audit, or search warrant where we are legally required to do so. We also may share your information when there are threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our policies or other agreements, or to protect the legal rights of third parties, including our employees, users, or the public.
- Corporate Transactions. All categories of your personal information may be disclosed or transferred to relevant third parties in the event of, or as part of the due diligence for, any proposed or actual reorganization, sale, merger, consolidation, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or part of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding).
- Other internal users. When you allow others to access, use, or edit content in your account, we share that content with them. For example, if you send a document to others for review or signature, we make the contents of the document available to them. When you create a profile, other users may be able to view your profile information.
- Public Information. Information that you have made publicly available (your public profile or discussion forum) will be made broadly available to others. When you comment on our social media pages or in our community forums, this information may also be read, collected, and used by others. This could be used to contact you, send you unsolicited messages, or for purposes neither we nor you have control over. We are not responsible for personal or any other information you submit in these forums.
- Your Employer or Organization. When you create an account or user role with an email address assigned to you as an employee, contractor, or member of an organization (e.g., email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) or a personal email that you are authorized to use with an organization (e.g., email@example.com), that organization (if it is our customer with certain features) can find your account and take certain actions that may affect your account, including monitoring the activity, suspending, and terminating your account. If you have questions or concerns about the level of access and control your employee or organization has over your account, you should contact them for more information.
- Consent. We may share your personal information in other ways if you have asked us to do so or you have given consent. For example, you may ask us to send your personal information to a third party of your choosing.
We may share information for other reasons we may describe to you or as
otherwise permitted by law.
Retention of Personal Information
We keep your personal information for as long as necessary or relevant for
the purposes for which it is processed. We also keep information as
required by law. You can control and delete documents in your account at
any time. If the document has been shared with another party, it will
remain visible to them until either they delete it or it is deleted by all
parties with access to the document.
You have certain choices described here. You can also decide what information you give us. If you do not provide us with certain personal information, you may not be able to use some parts of our Services. For example, if you do not adopt an electronic signature, then you will not be able to sign certain documents electronically. This section describes other choices you have:
- Profile. You are not required to fill out a profile. If you do, you can access and review this personal information. If any personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you can make changes in your account settings. We may make changes to your account if the change is requested by you, your employer (if the account is used for business purposes), or our business customer who controls your account.
- Marketing. You can opt out of email marketing messages we send you by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the email message or by visiting the Privacy Request Portal. Please note that we may send you one message to confirm you want to opt out. We will continue to send transactional or relationship messages after you opt out of marketing messages. If you would like your phone number added to our Do-Not-Call list to opt out of telemarketing messages, please visit the Privacy Request Portal.
- Cookies and Other Related Technology. You can manage cookies through your browser settings or our Cookie Preference Center and other methods detailed in our Cookie Notice ( https://www.pdffiller.com/en/cookies). However, if you decline cookies, you may not be able to use some parts of our Services.
- Shine the Light. California residents may ask for a list of third parties that have received their personal information for direct marketing purposes during the previous calendar year. This list also contains the types of personal information shared. We provide this list at no cost. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information, please contact us via the Privacy Request Portal.
- Device and Usage Information. If you do not want us to see your device location, you can turn off location sharing on your device, change your device privacy settings, or decline to share the location on your browser.
- Closing Your Account. If you wish to close your account, please log in to your account and delete the account through account settings. If you need assistance closing your account, you can contact the support team through the means described on the relevant website. Please include in your email your first name, last name, company (if applicable), and a list of Services you wish to cancel. As part of our security and privacy practices, we are unable to go into your account to delete any documents or export certain documents as it would require us to have direct access to the documents in your account. If you intend to close your account with us, we encourage you to export all necessary documents before closing your account. Once an account has been closed we will deactivate your account and within a reasonable amount of time begin the process to delete the account along with any remaining documents. Once the deletion process is complete we cannot guarantee that you will not be able t re-activate your account or recover documents associated with your original account.
Children and Our Services
Our Services are not designed for and are not marketed to children under
18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. Users
of our services may send forms or notices that gather personal information
about minors. Users are responsible for obtaining appropriate consents. If
you are a parent or legal guardian and believe we have your child’s
information, please contact us through the
Privacy Request Portal. We will delete personal information that we learn is collected from a
Your Privacy Rights
Under certain laws you may have additional rights related to your personal information. Those rights are described in more detail below. To exercise any of these rights, please visit the Privacy Request Portal.
- You can access and review personal information associated with your account that you have provided us by logging into your account with us and reviewing the information listed in your profile.
- You can request to know the following:
- How we collect and use your personal information and why;
- The categories of personal information we have collected and the categories of recipients of your personal information;
- How we received your personal information and its source;
- Our business purpose for using your personal information; and
- How long we use or store your personal information or the manner in which we determine relevant retention periods.
- You have a right to correct inaccurate personal information about you.
- In certain situations, you can request that we erase/delete or stop using your personal information.
- In certain situations you can object to or restrict our use of your personal information.
- You have the right to ask us to export your personal information to another third party of your choosing or provide you with a copy of your personal information.
- Where we rely on your consent to process your personal information, you can withdraw consent you may have already provided at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of the processing prior to the withdrawal of your consent. You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising a privacy right.
- If you are unsatisfied with our response to your complaint, you have a right to raise questions or complaints with your local data protection authority at any time.
Notice of Right to Opt-out of Sale/Sharing. California, Nevada, and Virginia law require that we tell you if we sell personal information to a third party for monetary or (in California) other valuable consideration. We do not do this. We also do not sell personal information of minors under the age of 16 for monetary or other valuable consideration. We may share information with third parties in order to provide cross-contextual behavioral advertising. This sharing provides you with more tailored and personalized content and ads. In the Notice at Collection (above), we outlined which categories of information are shared for cross-contextual behavioral advertising. Some browsers also allow you to tell websites not to share your information for cross-contextual behavioral advertising. We will respond to these signals in a frictionless manner. If you configure this setting on your browser, certain features on our site may not work and you will receive less targeted advertising. To learn how to configure this setting, view here . Additionally, the Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising provides consumers with the ability to manage certain choices online here and provides a tool for managing mobile choices here . Selections are browser and device-specific.
How it works. If you wish to exercise these rights, please contact us via the Privacy Request Portal. For security purposes and as required by law, if you make a request to exercise the rights referenced above, we will require you to provide certain information for identity verification purposes. If you have an account with us, we may verify you through the login of your account. If you do not have an account with us, we may require you to provide additional information from which we can confirm your identity. Where permitted by law you may authorize an agent to make a request to us on your behalf, and we will verify the identity of your agent or authorized legal representative by either seeking confirmation from you or documents that establish the agent’s authorization to act on your behalf.
Exceptions. In some cases,
we may not be able to complete your request because an exception exists
under applicable law. For example, we may need to keep some information to
provide the Services.
Transfers to the U.S. and Third Countries
Subject to applicable law, we may transfer your personal information
outside of your jurisdiction, including for further processing. We have
adopted the Standard Contractual Clauses to facilitate the transfer of
personal information from the European Economic Area and/or United Kingdom
("EEA") to our company and
affiliates, and/or service providers outside of the EEA. Transfers outside
the group of our companies are only made to organizations that agree to
adhere to the security and privacy standards in our Data Processing
Addendum and our Standard Contractual Clauses or use another valid
alternative under data protection law. You may view our Data Processing
Addendum and Standard Contractual Clauses at https://www.pdffiller.com/en/dpa.
We use reasonable security measures as required by relevant law. The
Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our sites
or platforms will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when
using the Internet. This includes not sharing your passwords.
Third-Party Sites and Links
If you click on a link to a third-party website, you will be taken to
sites we do not control. This includes our social media pages. These
third-parties’ privacy practices may be different than ours, and our
Privacy Notice does not apply to their actions. We are not responsible for
these third-party practices and encourage you to read their privacy
Changes to This Privacy Notice
We may make changes or updates to this Privacy Notice. We will notify you
of any material changes to this Privacy Notice as required by law. This
may include posting changes on our website. Please check our site
periodically for updates.
How to Contact Us
For questions or complaints regarding our use of your personal information or this Privacy Notice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending a letter to airSlate Inc., Attention: Data Privacy Officer, 17 Station Street, 3rd Floor, Brookline, Massachusetts 02445.