Who needs a DA Form 4856?
A DA Form 4856 is a Developmental Counseling Form designed for use by the US Department of the Army.
What is the DA Form 4856 for?
This form is used to document all possible counseling sessions between leaders/counselors and their subordinates/soldiers and consequently develop a counseling record for individual military personnel. The information provided in forms DA 4856 must not be publicly disclosed.
Is the DA Form 4856 accompanied by other forms?
To be filed, the form does not require any other additional documentation. However, when completed, it is included to a soldier’s personal file and kept on record.
When is the DA Form 4856 due?
The DA 4856 is submitted when needed and stored over a period of the counseled soldier’s service.
How do I fill out the DA Form 4856?
The filled out form DA 4856 must provide the following information:
- the counseled soldier’s personal information (name, rank, and organization)
- the counselor’s information (name and title)
- the purpose for counseling
- description of what was discussed
- a plan of action for the person receiving counseling services
- the summary including the key points of the session
- the counselor’s responsibilities
- assessment of the plan of action by both parties confirmed with their signatures
Where do I send the DA Form 4856?
The counselor and the military having received the counseling should keep a copy of the DA Form 4856.